Monday, August 25, 2014

Nikki reviews: UNLIT STAR by Lindy Zart

Title: UNLIT STAR
Author: LINDY ZART


We are not guaranteed anything, not even this life.

Rivers Young is the popular guy untouchable by reality. He is like a star—bright, consuming, otherworldly. The thing about stars, though, is that they eventually fall, and he is no different.

He falls far and he falls hard.

Delilah Bana is the outcast enshrouded in all of life's ironies. Alone, in the dark, like dusk as it falls on the world. When Rivers hits the ground, she is the night that catches him. In the darkness, they meld into something beautiful that shines like the sun.

Only, the greater the star is, the shorter its lifespan.



Add on GOODREADS

Purchase from:

~REVIEW~

I’ve lived for 27 years, been a bookworm since I was in grade school hooked to Sweet Valley High. Can you tell that I was a sucker for romance since my age was only a single digit? You bet, I was.

I’ve read almost a thousand fiction books but, there are only a few in this world that had made me stop for a while to catch my breath, because if I didn’t, I would have lost it. And despite that momentarily pause, I lost it anyway. UNLIT STAR is one of those books.

When I read the blurb, I didn’t know what I brought myself into. Sure, the blurb is like a burst of pretty words, why not give it a try? And boy, did I give it a try.

And it killed me. It was like someone speared me straight into the heart and twisted it a million times. It was pretty painful I tell you. How can a single book literally put you in agony? I was a crying mess at five in the morning. I wasn’t prepared, I didn’t have tissues within arms reach. I had no choice but to wipe the river of tears on my fucking shirt while my breaths hitched. It was an ugly sight. Good thing was, the lights were out.

Honestly, I don’t know how to review this book without spoiling anything. But, one thing is certain: this book is beautifully written. If you think the blurb is something, wait until you are reading the actual story. Zart is a gifted bitch. Her words are just… extraordinarily woven into something that actually make you feel. Like you belong to the book; like you are there witnessing everything right in front of your very eyes. The emotions of the characters are so palpable it was like they are physically touching you. UNLIT STAR is a powerful experience. The story is not profound, or enlightening. It’s a relatable story and I think that’s what made it more engaging.

Rivers and Delilah… Ahhh, these two are match made in the night sky. Their love story is one of the most heart-warming stories I have ever read. They were young, yes. But they were each other’s destiny. Insta love? I’ve known people in the literary world who don’t dig this shit, but this shit right here is real; their shit endured; their shit was for keeps. They were each other’s night and day. They were two very different people from different worlds. But, I guess when your heart tells you that it’s in love, then you can’t really do anything even if you try to fight it. Delilah tried, but she failed. And I’m happy she did, because that failure was what really brought them together. Two broken souls that have met, and made each other whole.

~PLAYLIST~

Here's my UNLIT STAR playlist:
A Sky Full of Stars - Coldplay
The One You Love - Passenger feat. Kate Miller Heidke
In Loving Memory - Alter Bridge
In the Shallows - Daughter


Did I tell you I loved this book? Oh, I didn’t. But, have you read what I wrote? If yes, then probably you get the idea. I was in a book funk for almost eight months now, only reading the ones that I’ve really been waiting for and not trying to find anything new. I haven't even reviewed a book for six months!!! But, I came across Unlit Star and I am glad I did. Because this book actually, is my best read this year. I’m not sure yet, but there’s this little fluttery feeling in my heart that tells me to acknowledge the thought that this may actually be my most favourite book now. I’ll let you know who wins the struggle: the loyalty to the author of the book sitting in my #1 spot, or UNLIT STAR that’s calling to my soul.

Rating:

DIAMOND RECORD



Connect with the Author

Basically she just likes to make stuff up and put it down on paper. I.E. She's an author.

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment