Friday, May 3, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Flat-Out Matt by Jessica Park

 
Flat-Out Matt
Flat-Out Love Novella
Jessica Park

Matt is a junior at MIT. He’s geeky, he's witty, he's brilliant.

And he’s also very, very stupid.


When beautiful, cool, insightful Julie moves in with Matt’s family, why (oh why!) does he pretend to be his absent brother Finn for her alleged benefit? 


It seems harmless enough until her short-term stay becomes permanent. And until it snowballs into heart-squeezing insanity. And until he falls in love with Julie, and Julie falls in love with Finn. 


But … Matt is the right one for her. If only he can make Julie see it. Without telling her the truth, without shattering them all. Particularly his fragile sister Celeste, who may need Julie the most.


You saw Matt through Julie’s eyes in FLAT-OUT LOVE. Now go deeper into Matt’s world in this FLAT-OUT MATT novella. Live his side of the story, break when his heart breaks, and fall for the unlikely hero all over again.


Take an emotional skydive for two prequel chapters and seven Flat-Out Love chapters retold from his perspective, and then land with a brand-new steamy finale chapter from Julie.
Okay. So I rated Flat-Out Love a 2.5 rating last year because of the craziness of the plot. Pretending to be a person who is dead qualifies as crazy right? I am not going to change that rating ever because I really went through a hard time while reading that book. If you check my Twitter posts during the time I was reading the book you would have regarded me as nuts. I mean, I couldn't tell myself to calm the fuck down during those times. That book really had riled me up.

BUT the same story in Matt's POV gave it a whole lot more meaning to me. And so I am giving Flat-Out Matt a 5 fucking dog-eared pages rating. Yes, you read that right (and see the five crumpled shining dog-eared pages). Why? I am not quite sure why. Maybe because I already know the plot and that "unknown" feeling doesn't apply to this anymore. I already know how this would end (well not the exact ending but you know what I mean LOL) and that gave me the happy ending assurance. Not like when I was reading the first book and struggling not to swipe the damn screen until I find the damn ending. Haha! Another reason for loving Flat-Out Matt is Celeste. Who wouldn't love Celeste and the way she constructs her sentences?! That kid! Oh I love that kid! :)

Thank you Jessica Park for telling the story on Matt's POV. If you haven't made me fall in love with Matty in the first book, now you've made me “fall madly out-of-your-brains and heart-crushingly head-over-heels in love" with him!

This made it to my favorite-books shelf! So worth the dollars spent! :)

P.S. I am posting my favorite scene below! With Matt and Celeste of course. :)

“No, I do not want a muffin.”

Matt shook the bag wildly. “Just eat the muffin, okay?” he demanded. “You’re supposed to have breakfast!”

Celeste took the bag from his hand. “Goodness. If eating the muffin will help alleviate this display of emotionality, I will be happy to accommodate you and eat the muffin.” She paused. “I would be happier if you had not sat on it and if it were not undeniably compressed into a near pancake.”

“JUST EAT THE FREAKIN’ MUFFIN!” Matt flew through an intersection.

“It is my suspicion that by freakin’ you really mean fu—”

“How about we stop talking, okay?”

“Yes. Let’s. I will eat my subpar, unusually shaped muffin disc now.” She patted his shoulder. “And we will find Julie, and she will be perfectly fine.”


No comments:

Post a Comment