Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Sy reviews: ROCK CHICK REVOLUTION by Kristen Ashley

~Synopsis~

Ally Nightingale has secrets. Secrets she doesn't even share with the Rock Chicks. But two men know what she's up to. One has her back. The other has her heart, but he doesn't know it.
As Ally rewinds the last year of her life, she knows two things. One, she’s never going to get what every Rock Chick should have—her own Hot Bunch guy. And two, she’s a Nightingale through and through. She just isn’t sure what to do about that.
But as her secrets are revealed, the men in her life react. Darius Tucker, a lifelong friend, as usual takes her back. Ren Zano, the man she loves, isn’t quite so sure. The Rock Chicks, Hot Bunch and the entire gang at Fortnum’s weigh in, and a Rock Chick Revolution starts brewing.
It’s up to Ally to control it and prove what she knows down to her bones. She’s a Rock Chick, she deserves her hot guy and she’s going to keep the one she wants…
Because she’s a Nightingale.

Add on:
Purchase on:


~Review~


I don’t even know where to start on this review.  I guess I’ll begin with the Acknowledgement and Author’s Note. That was one of the most beautiful Author’s Notes I have ever read. I’m glad that Kristen Ashley got her inspiration to write the characters of the Rock Chick series from her close friends and family.

I admit I got choked up a bit reading her message. Rock Chick Revolution is the 8th and final instalment of the Rock Chick series. This is Ally and Ren’s story and I must say KA did not disappoint. I liked Ally in the previous Rock Chick books, especially the first one although there were times that she was really almost getting on my nerves because she was always up in other people’s business but I have grown to love her. And when I get started on the Rock Chick series, I almost felt bad that she might not get a story because she was always coming on too strong for me and I was afraid no man can handle her. She was just like the female counterpart of an alpha male. Along came Ren Zano. Picture this: Italian American Hothead. Did you get the picture? Yes? Did you drool? Coz I kinda did. *giggles*

Anyway, we all know that Ren had a thing for Ava (Luke’s woman from Rock Chick Revenge) but of course Ava was meant for Luke and in one of those badass macho moment in Luke’s story Ren and Ally got to know each other. Well, I didn’t know that of course until I read Revolution. Oh boy did they really get to know each other. I admire Ally in this book. And I know I haven’t really said that to other heroines in the Rock Chick series because I was so so busy admiring the Hot Bunch (especially Luke and my Hispanic Hottie Hector) but Ally was really one kickass woman. And I didn’t just say that because she saved Faye (from Breathe of the Colorado Mountain Men series) and that she can sense bad vibes from people and that she can knee and crush a man’s balls when situation calls for it, but because she can hold herself on her own. Just reading about her and getting to know her, even without Ren, is unravelling. Yeah sure, she may be too stubborn at times and too tough for her own good but once you learn why you’ll understand her and love her even more. I even had a few moments when I almost clapped and cheered for her. And being the masochist that I am, I had a few crying moments on this book too. It wasn’t the bawling kind of cry but you know, the silent type of cry. And those were the ones that really hurt. I hurt for her when she was hurt because of Ren, because of her dad, brothers and even Darius. I love how Ally felt deeply, hurt deeply but love deeply too. And I loved it when finally she and Ren acknowledged that they were in love.

Now since we’re talking about Ren, what’s not to love about him? Seriously, he might not be one of Lee’s men but he can give those Hot Bunch a run for their money. And someone like him being that sweet to Ally, it’s just too much. I think I might have yelled into the book “Oh my God, Zano!” quite a number of times. And I know this is Ally and Ren’s story but can I just say? Luke still managed to sweep me off my feet and made me swoon during his wedding. I mean, I really squealed like a teenage girl on that part. I won’t give the details that much but my goodness, Luke. I love you! There I said it. Haha!

So, Rock Chick Revolution has been a great ending to an awesome and kickass series. This is not only a story about woman power. It’s a story about finding love, friendship, loyalty, making sacrifices, taking risks and most of all believing in fairy tales. Just like my favourite line from the book:

“Because it wasn’t perfect, none of it. But it was a fairytale. And people needed to believe in fairytales. Even flawed ones. Maybe especially flawed ones. And they needed to believe always.”

And the Rock Chick series is truly a fairy tale. It has that “until one day” moment. You know, when we were kids and we read all these fairy tale books and the main character goes through her life, it could be shitty, could be ordinary, and then we reach that part of the story where it says “until one day”. And that’s my favorite fairy tale part. That’s where the major shake-up happens to the main character’s life. That’s where she meets her prince charming, that’s where she finds out she’s a princess or she’s rich. Something. And it’s all for the best. And the Rock Chick series, it has that. And I love that KA never fails to give that to me as a reader. I may be obsessed with her alpha males but really, I’m also obsessed how she can give me all these fairy tales and happy endings in every book I read. And I always believe. I believe that even if the character’s life started out as really messed up, I still believe KA can give me a happy ever after. Because just like what Jane said, nothing really bad ever happens to fairy tales.

~Playlist~



I was trying to look for a more badass playlist but really I can’t top the songs on this book that KA already mentioned.

Rating

DIAMOND RECORD

Kristen Ashley was born in Gary, Indiana, USA. She nearly killed her mother and herself making it into the world, seeing as she had the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck (already attempting to accessorise and she hadn't taken her first breath!). Kristen grew up in Brownsburg, Indiana but has lived in Denver, Colorado and the West Country of England. Thus she has been blessed to have friends and family around the globe. Her posse is loopy (to say the least) but loopy is good when you want to write. Kristen was raised in a house with a large and multi-generational family. They lived on a very small farm in a small town in the heartland and existed amongst the strains of Glenn Miller, The Everly Brothers, REO Speedwagon and Whitesnake (and the wardrobes that matched). Needless to say, growing up in a house full of music, clothes and love was a good way to grow up. And as she keeps growing up, it keeps getting better.
Contact: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads 

No comments:

Post a Comment